Why Goodreads is Good for Authors
This week author Kimberley Patterson spoke at my San Diego Self-Publishers Meetup group. She’s a very savvy author who has a lot of great things to say about Goodreads. (I’m publishing her talk in three parts starting Monday March 10 at this link. Want to be notified? Sign up for my mailing list.) Read on for more about using GoodReads.
I renewed my activity there by creating a group on adventure travel books. I couldn’t believe there wasn’t one already, so if you’re interested, please participate! I hadn’t applied to become a “Goodreads Author” either so I claimed my books to let them know that I am, indeed, the author. In a few hours I received approval, via the email response below. I’m looking forward to being active as I love reading and oftentimes I feel I don’t have time to waste on experimenting with new books without some guidance. This is the place! And, of course, I look forward to interacting with my readers.
Here’s the response accepting me as a Goodreads Author.
Welcome to the Goodreads Authors program! We have upgraded your profile to an official author account. Your special status as a Goodreads Author gives you greater access to the millions of readers in our Goodreads community—so expect to get to know some passionate book lovers!
To begin, please read our author guidelines on how best to interact with readers online.
Make your profile a dynamic destination for curious readers. Here are some of the features you can use on your profile:
* Add a picture and bio
* Write a blog and generate a band of followers
* Publicize upcoming events
* Share book excerpts and other writing
* Write a quiz about your book or a related topic
* Post videos
* Add a link to your personal website or blog and add the Goodreads Author widget to show off reviews of your books
Promoting Your Books
Get the word out! Here are some of the promotional tools available on Goodreads:
* Sign up to advertise your book to up to 25 million members
* List a book giveaway to generate buzz
* Lead a Q&A discussion group for readers
* Participate in discussions, both on your profile and in the discussion forums for your books
Managing Your Book Data
You can now edit your own book data, which includes uploading cover art, adding ISBN numbers, and expanding the book’s description. Click the book title, then “edit.” For a book to appear in your list of published works, the author name listed for the book must match yours exactly (spacing and punctuation counts). A few trouble-shooting tips:
* How to add missing titles to the database
* How to separate titles by a different author of the same name
Start at your author dashboard:
Help Make the Author Program Even Better
Join the Author Feedback Group:
– The Goodreads team © 2014 Goodreads Inc · 188 Spear Street, 3rd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105a