Join Me in LA April 23 for a Publishers Assoc. Meeting
PUBLISHERS AND INDIE AUTHORS IN LOS ANGELES
April 23 at 7:00 pm
Indie publishing tech expert Carla King
Learn about new tools and features that let you and your authors publish, sell, and promote books and other works in new bookstores and directly to readers in the social stream
I hope to see you on Wednesday, April 23 at 7:00 pm in Los Angeles at the Veterans Memorial Building, 4117 Overland Avenue, Culver City. Admission is free for PALA members (but please make a reservation) and $15.00 for nonmembers. Advance admission can be purchased until the day before the program with PayPal on their website: www.pa-la.org.
PUBLISHERS ASSOCIATION OF LOS ANGELES – APRIL 2014
NEW PUBLISHING TOOLS TO SELL MORE BOOKS
(AND BUILD AUTHOR PLATFORM)
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 23, 2014
Indie publishing tech expert Carla King will present new and creative tools that you probably haven’t heard of yet. These tools let you and your authors publish, sell, and promote books and other works in new bookstores and directly to readers in the social stream. As we review these new tools you’ll begin to imagine new ways to boost your business and to get your authors excited about being involved in the promotion process. Here’s what you’ll learn:
– How to sell more books using new stores and sales widgets you can embed in your website
– Book creation tools that output seamlessly to PDF, EPUB, mobi, and HTML5
– Tools that entice more readers to sign up for your email newsletters
– Publisher crowdfunding platforms you may not be familiar with
– Tools that allow you to sell subscriptions to beta books, serial books, and other books in progress
– Reasons to consider “Pay What You Want” pricing
– How to slice and dice and remix the books in your catalogue to create completely new books and anthologies–or sell sections and chapters separately
– How to create and deliver books and book marketing materials for promotion or sale without making readers click out of their social stream
– How to create bestsellers with pre-orders
– And finally, a new sales reporting dashboard that lets you and your authors see up-to- the-minute results of your marketing campaigns
CARLA KING is an adventure travel journalist, web professional, author, and self-publishing expert. In 1995 she helped pioneer the art of the realtime online travelogue for O’Reilly & Assoc. with her American Borders dispatches–now called blog posts–sent from the saddle of the Russian Ural sidecar motorcycle she was testing for the American importer. This journey sparked a series of motorcycle misadventures starting with the American Borders travelogue and moving on to Europe, China, India, and Africa.
In 2010 Carla founded the Self-Pub Boot Camp program of books and workshops where she had taught writing for the web and building author websites for several years.
Carla’s career has focused on technology starting in 1985 writing repair manuals for mainframe computers and moving on to creating CD-ROMs, then building websites for the likes of Sun Microsystems and Sony PlayStation, road testing new motorcycle tech, and reviewing laptop computers and other electronic travel gadgets. Over the years, Carla has produced and published dozens of websites, online magazines, booklets, and book-like publications using a wide variety of desktop and cloud-based tools. She’s published seven books, including The Self-Publishing Boot Camp Guide for Authors (Misadventures Media, 2nd Ed. June 2013) and How to Self-Publish Your Book (PBS, May 2013).
DATE: Wednesday, April 23, 2014.
TIME: 7:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Veterans Memorial Building, 4117 Overland Avenue, Culver City. Corner of Overland & Culver. Parking is free on site. The parking entrance is on Culver. Meetings are on the first floor, down the hall to the left of the front doors. The PALA sign will be on the meeting room door. NOTE: Wear layered clothing. The room is usually comfortable, but the temperature may vary.
QUESTIONS: Sharon Goldinger, Program Chair, email@example.com, 949-581-6190.
Please visit our Web site for updates at www.pa-la.org.